Thursday, January 03, 2008

Family Members Need Support

Happy New Year, Welcome to 2008.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) recommends that all members of a family that is struggling with addiction receive treatment.

Have you ever thought that if you were only a better husband, wife, or parent the addiction of your loved one might not have happened? Do you feel shame and isolate because of your family member's addiction? Have you felt frustrated, hopeless, angry, stressed, depressed? This is the disease of addiction playing havoc with family members. You need help to get through this. One of the goals of getting help is to learn that the addiction is not your fault, no matter how hard the addict works to convince you it is.

If you are dealing with addiction in your family YOU need help. YOU need support and YOU need to make a point in 2008 to get it. Don't get stuck thinking it is your job to save your family member, their life is NOT in your hands. The three tasks that are a must for for family members are to get education about addiction, To participate in an ongoing support group and to give up trying to control or believing you are responsible for the outcome for someone else.

Remember the three C's

You didn't CAUSE it, You can't CONTROL it and You can't CURE it.

9 comments:

אילנה said...

I often visit your blog and enjoy reading you. Happy New Year!
Ilana

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is a great blog. I ran across some research commissioned by a rehab center the other day that might be of interest to your readers? It has a lot of detail on addictions and online search behavior of addicts and family members looking to help them out. And it's a big problem. Just FYI :) Keep up the great posts.

Addictions Research

Joan.blacke@gmail.com

Bob Brown said...

Thanks for the research information. I saved the website and will check it out.

BB

Anonymous said...

Hi. My little sister has been addicted to prescription meds and repeatedly gets high on marijuana. She has a daughter, a husband and a small son with him, yet she still chooses to take off and not come home at night so she can stay out and party, this makes me so crazy and stressed!!! She knows we all know she has a problem, and she also knows she has a problem. What's it going to take for her to stop it!

Anonymous said...

hi there I need ANSWERES.. I have a loved one who is currently fighting a prescription addiction, and I need to know as a friend wife and mother what my role is to help him, We are at the point that I feel we are a thousand miles apart and I dont know what to do, and when we try to talk about it we blow up at eachother and never resolve anything, he is trying o get into a rehab clinic and I hope it works because I love him very much and it hurts me to watch him go though this but now hes not alone and im driving him to do it more and I have no one to talk to and I cant talk to him, I feel so alone.. Help us please...

Anonymous said...

hi my sister has an addiction to codiene any thing she can get her hands on shes all ready almost lost her life she is destroying every one around her doing selfish hurtfull and spite full things always looking for attention she woant let us get on with our lifes hurts her self for attention

Anonymous said...

My son has been an addict/alcohol for over 30 years. I have "enabled" him I'm sure. Now I am 78 years old, he is 53 and I am afraid of leaving him in that shape. I have finally realized that I cannot change him and feel I must do something for myself. But what?

Anonymous said...

Having a family member who is addicted to orescriorion meds has wreaked havoc in my life...the stress and depression is sometimes too much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Everyone in my family of origin is a non-functioning alcoholic. My Dad passed away 3 years ago without warning from the effects of the disease, my Mom starts drinking everyday at "noon" and abuses prescription pills, my older brother and my younger brother are both chronic alcoholics with many financial, personal and legal problems. I have tried to evolve and learn about this disease my entire life but because of the progression of this disease I find myself isolated and struggling to be "normal". I am grieving the loss of my entire family - yet they are still alive. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Signed Sincerely Struggling